logo-sized-clean-500

Community News

At about noon on April 7, Millard County Sheriff’s Office Dispatch received a call from OnStar advising of a stolen vehicle,

Read more...

For its final show of the spring season, the West Millard Cultural Council presented musician Kate MacLeod April 7 at the Delta High School Auditorium.

Read more...

Talented female tenors, leads, baritones and basses celebrated the “Blue Notes” vocal group legacy at their spring show titled, “Blue Notes All Year ‘Round - Celebrating 40 years of Harmony.”

Read more...

Within the next few months, an Opportunity Hub will be opened on Delta’s Main Street.

Read more...

Motocross racers sped over and hopped high mud hills at last weekend’s Rocky Mountain Motocross (RMX) championship series event, held at the Bunker Hill racecourse in Delta.

Read more...

thumb law 1

As per agreement with Delta City when the property was sold, the new Delta Community Center is now named the RJ Law Community Center. Law was an original founder and settler of Delta.

“When I put together the contract and sold my property to the city, the contract stated the RJ Law name would be on the building,” said Robert Law, grandson of RJ Law. “It was to recognize his contribution to the community as an early settler. The Laws’ had a substantial influence on the development of the city, and did a lot of things for the community.”

The entire block including Family Dollar, Great Basin Museum, Topaz Museum and the RJ Law Community Center belonged to the Law family. They built a home and owned several businesses over the past one-hundred years on that block.

thumb law 2

 

According to RJ’s grandson, Robert Law, RJ Law first came to Delta in February 1909, when the town was named Burtner. The family had moved around looking for a place, as Bessie Bickley Law put it, “to do good and be happy.” RJ and his family lived in tents among the sagebrush on their new lot.

By May they had built a one-room brick building for a hardware store, as well as a two-room home for the family where the Family Dollar now stands.

Shortly after the store opened the DMAD Dam washed away, causing a severe drought, drying out crops and causing an economic depression and lack of cash flow in the area.

A plan was made for a new dam in the same spot, and the water company called on the local merchants for supplies and groceries.

RJ had originally committed to supply one-third of the needed goods but ended up furnishing most of what was needed. It added up quickly because there were about 200 teams of horses, men and women, needing all the supplies for the four months it took to rebuild the dam.

In those days the nearest train depot was in Oasis so RJ had to send his red wagon and a team of horses to Oasis every day and then out to the dam site.

As the community grew, RJ saw the need for a larger store. He built the second store in 1914 on the spot where the RJ Community Center now stands. The store was built with cement blocks, which were made onsite and weighed 70 pounds each.

On February 8, 1922, the ‘Big Fire’ happened in Delta, burning everything in its path on the north side of Main Street. It started in the Lincoln Theater and destroyed five businesses.

RJ purchased one of the burnt lots to build his third store. He hired men with teams of horses and paid them $4.50 a day to excavate a basement for the new store. Bricks were needed for the new store as well as for the construction of the Sutherland Ward building. RJ and the Sutherland Ward worked together to reclaim old bricks from an abandoned smelter on US Highway 6 about five miles south of Eureka. It had been an old smoke tunnel where the silver-laden smoke was forced through the tunnels as a way to recover the silver.

RJ and Frank Law, as well as Dewey Sanford of Sutherland camped for many days while they dismantled the tunnels. The bricks were cleaned and loaded onto railroad cars, then shipped to Delta and Sutherland.

The third store opened in 1923 and is still standing as the West Desert Collectors Rock Shop.

RJ Law had stores in Delta and Beaver as well as farms and a mine in the Drum Mountains. He retired in August 1944, and passed away just four months later.

His son Frank demolished the second store and built a Mobile Service Station and the Desa Rest Motel on the south side of Main. Mobile Service Station became Beeline Station, then Husky Station, then Law’s Welding and Fabrication before it was demolished and sold to the city. It is now the location of the RJ Law Com-munity Center.

The Law family is well pleased with the new development of their family property. Delta City has created a beautiful new building for the community to gather and hold many fun events. It is indeed a terrific place “to do good and be happy!”

With the icy snow melted and freezing cold weather gone for awhile, spring is finally here and Delta area residents of all ages are coming out to play.

The Delta High School athletes are currently hard at working practicing for the 2016 track, boys’ soccer, baseball, softball, tennis and girls’ golf seasons. All the teams are experiencing their first competitions in great outdoor weather this week.

At the Delta City Park and near the county fairgrounds, kids of all ages and parents are conquering the playground equipment, swinging to new heights, blowing and playing with bubbles, and practicing dance and cheer routines. The skate park is also full of kids speeding and jumping away on their scooters, bikes and skateboards. County recreation adult baseball and softball is also ready to start up at the regional park complex.

Judging by all the fun and activities going on, it looks like 2016 will be another great spring season for Delta.

A lack of necessary taillights and strong wind gusts caused two vehicle accidents on Interstate 15 in Millard County last week.

Read more...

Notice is hereby given that the Fillmore City Council has adopted Ordinance No.16-01 enacting a temporary land use regulation for Fillmore City suspending hookups and renewable energy to the Fillmore City electric system for a period of six months. A copy of the ordinance is on file in the office of the Fillmore City Recorder and is available for public review Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. It is also posted on the Fillmore City website (fillmorecity. org). Passed and Adopted by the City Council of the City of Fillmore, Utah on the 16th day of February, 2016. 

/s/ Kevin W. Orton 

Fillmore City Recorder 

Published in the Millard County Chronicle Progress FEBRUARY 24, 2016.

It’s a sight you have to see to believe: thousands of snow and Ross’ geese lifting off Gunnison Bend Reservoir amid honks and the beating of wings.

Read more...